FARC-EP, News from Havana, Cuba 17.08.2014 [En]
Joint Communique №41
Havana, August 17
The delegations of the National Government and the FARC-EP first of all would like to thank the first group of victims of the conflict for attending the Peace Talks, and especially for sharing their testimonies, opinions and proposals with us, which were expressed with great courage and candor.
They not only will be a key input, along with the more than 3,000 testimonies and proposals recollected from the forums on victims and the more than 5,000 proposals that have been send to the Table for the construction of agreements regarding point 5, but they have also shown us again, in the most tangible way possible, why we are working to end the conflict, build a stable and lasting peace and reconciliation.
The meeting took place in an atmosphere of solemnity, respect, and above all, a lot of attention for each victim’s testimony and proposals.
Both delegations ratified to the first group of visitors that we will work on the basis of the 10 guiding principles we agreed, and in particular on the basis of recognition of the rights of victims, in order to ensure greater satisfaction and guarantees of non-repetition.
We believe that this was a transcendent moment of the process. From the beginning, we have said that the victims stand in the center of the Agreement. This first meeting in Havana, in a more direct way, gives substance to this purpose. We received their expressions of pain and their demands as an ethical and moral imperative to successfully conclude these talks.
We especially appreciate the manifestations of commitment to peace made by the victims.
This was the first of five visits to be made by victim delegations to Havana. We thank the Episcopal Conference, the United Nations in Colombia and the Centro de Pensamiento of the National University for the huge effort they have made to organize this visit in a short time.
We also thank the guarantor countries – Cuba and Norway – and accompanying countries – Venezuela and Chile – for their valuable contribution to this historic event and with gratitude we highlight the effective work of Cuba as host country, regarding the organization, reception and attention, with all necessary means, of this first visit of the victims and their companions, until its successful culmination.
We will expect the next delegation to arrive in the next round of conversations.
Last modified on Friday, 12 September 2014 22:44
First meeting of victims with the two parties of the Peace Talks in Havana
Havana, August 16, 2014
Communique to Public Opinion
The members of the first delegation of victims who participated in this first meeting, express:
- We received the invitation to participate in this historic event of the Havana Peace Talks as a gesture of recognition in favor of peace, reconciliation and guarantee of the rights of victims. We value the effort made by United Nations, the National University, the Colombian Episcopal Conference, the garantor countries – Norway and Cuba – and the accompanying countries – Chile and Venezuela -, and the hospitality of Cuba as host country. We certify that we’ve had total freedom of speech and thought, without any kind of restrictions upon the expression of our experiences, ideas and proposals. We are not, and we don’t pretend to be, representatives of the whole universe of victims in Colombia. Nevertheless, we confirm that we have contributed to this meeting from different experiences and processes, full of dignity, with willingness of achieving unity among us. Experiences, that deserve all repect, without any being excluded or silenced.
- Today, we have shared the commitment to truth as a foundation for peace. The different proposals, presented in a serious and qualified way, have sought to give a meaning to the principles of recognition of victims, recognition of responsibilities and non-impunity, starting from the willingness to transcend individual experiences.
- We declare our profound recognition and respect for all victims and we invite them to make common cause. We decided to continue and strengthen the effort so that all victims will be listened to, and so that society as a whole will commit to accompany us in the demands of our rights and the achievement of peace.
- We expect the full commitment of both parties to incorporate the different approaches and proposals, and to establish a follow-up mechanism that will allow effective materialization. The parties are in charge of its incorporation.
- We place, in the hands of both parties, of the media and of the different sectors of society involved in the solution to the conflict, the respect for our activity and the guarantee of our security, avoiding manipulation, finger pointing and stigmatization.
- We welcome the atmosphere of respect, attention and appreciation for our participation by the delegations of the national government and the FARC.